Tuesday 7 July 2009

West German Pottery at a charity auction

I've just got back from a charity auction held to benefit the Prince's Trust at the Guildhall in London. Alas, I am empty handed. Eric Knowles, my friend and colleague on the BBC's Antiques Roadshow, is taking part in another series of 'Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is' for the BBC. Here, two well-known antiques experts are pitted against each other, buying antiques and collectables, and then selling them at a profit later. They use their own money, so the stakes are high! Eric knows I'm partial to a bit of West German pottery, and had bought a large early 1960s vase (shown here) that he thought I might like to add to my collection. Designed by Hans Siery for Scheurich in 1958, "Yes, please!", I said. At over 20inches (50cm) in height, and estimated at a punchy £150-200, my chequebook and bidding arm were ready, and Eric was enthusing on the rostrum. But I didn't prepare myself for a room full of 20-40-something design fans, and I was soon outbid, with the vase selling for a fantastic £270. Well done Eric, but in my case, I guess you can't win them all!

No comments: